Would you like smoother, clearer, more radiant skin? Microdermabrasion is a minimally invasive treatment that helps to refresh and renew your overall skin tone and give your skin a smoother texture. The procedure involves using a special applicator to exfoliate your skin, removing the thicker, uneven outer layer of dead skin cells. We have clients that enjoy Microdermabrasion in the Salt Lake City area including people in Mill Creek or Sugar House.
What does microdermabrasion do for your face? It can be an effective treatment for those plagued with blackheads, whiteheads, and cystic acne. However, microdermabrasion offers other cosmetic benefits, including reducing the following:
- light scarring from acne or other issues
- discoloration caused by melasma or aging
- stretch marks
- sun damage
- wrinkles and fine lines
- enlarged pores
- dull-looking skin complexion
- uneven skin tone and texture
Microdermabrasion is considered a safe procedure for most skin types.
How to prepare for microdermabrasion
Anesthesia or a numbing/desensitizing agent are not needed for microdermabrasion. The treatment is performed by a licensed skincare professional. It is an in-office procedure that generally takes about an hour.
Microdermabrasion is a non-surgical treatment that really doesn’t require preparation other than cleansing your face, but there are some things you should avoid for a week prior to your treatment:
- sun exposure
- tanning creams
- other exfoliation methods or masks
In your treatment room, you will lay back on a reclining chair. A handheld applicator will be used to gently sand away the outer layer of skin of the treatment areas. Exfoliation depth is influenced by the amount of pressure applied on the handpiece and the length of time the suction is allowed to remain on the skin. Applicators are most often one of the following:
- Diamond-tip handpiece: a diamond-tip handpiece is designed to simultaneously exfoliate dead cells and suction them off. A diamond-tip applicator is often used on the most sensitive facial skin, such as around the eyes.
- Crystal microdermabrasion: a crystal-emitting handpiece is used to spray on a layer of fine crystals to gently sand away the outer layers of the skin. The types of crystals frequently used include aluminum oxide and sodium bicarbonate. Dead skin cells are immediately suctioned off.
- Hydradermabrasion: a newer technology, hydradermabrasion utilizes the combination of crystal-free exfoliation and infusion of products into the skin to stimulate collagen production and maximize blood flow.
After your procedure is completed, a moisturizer and sunscreen will be applied to your skin. Side effects of microdermabrasion that are common and temporary include mild tenderness, swelling, and redness. Occasionally, minor bruising caused by the suction process during the treatment could occur. There is little to no downtime needed after microdermabrasion and there is no reason you may not resume your daily activities immediately.
It will be important to keep your skin hydrated after your procedure and to use gentle skin care products. Your skin will be sensitive after treatment for a week or two, so it will be important to protect it with sunscreen and avoid the use of any harsh acne medications to avoid causing irritation.
While you will have visible results immediately after your treatment, you will generally need between six to twelve sessions to see dramatic results from microdermabrasion. The number of sessions needed will depend on the severity of your skin issues and your goals for the treatment. The smoothing and brightening effects of the treatment will usually be apparent for around of month, but this time period can vary according to your age and the type of skin you have.
How often should you do microdermabrasion?
To maintain the clear, radiant skin you see after microdermabrasion, you should plan to have regular treatments every two to four weeks. Your esthetician at Peak Day Spa will suggest a schedule for your microdermabrasion treatments. We will also give you information on other treatments that can help you achieve your skincare goals.
If you are interested in microdermabrasion and live in the Mill Creek or Sugar House areas, our beautiful day spa is conveniently located at 3130 Highland Drive in Salt Lake City. Call us today at 385-202-4104 or email us at: email@example.com.